Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Oh my!

Well, we made it through the first night in the brooder. It was a pretty long afternoon yesterday. After placing the chicks in the brooder we kept a close eye on them to see how they were doing and realized right away that we had a problem with the temperature in the box - this due to thermometers that weren't reading correctly!

I took the thermometers out of the incubator and hatcher and spent the afternoon checking the temp, trying to correct the temp, and hoping that it would stabilize and become constant. One neat thing about these chicks is that you can tell if they are too hot or too cold. When too hot they spread out and sometimes just lay around (which is the way I found them once yesterday - I thought I had killed them!). When they are too cold they all try to pile on top of each other up under the heater - yep, did that to them also. I was up until about 2:30 a.m. (yawn) trying to stabilize the brooder and if all that temperature change doesn't kill them then they should be fine. We will keep a close eye on this again today.

When I checked on them this morning the little things were startled and I even saw a couple of them "pop up" like quail will do. It was so funny to see them doing that as little as they are.

We found out that the extra breed of quail that we have are Tennessee Red Quail. These birds are actually Bobwhites with a color mutation.

Believe it or not, we actually had some more quail hatch out last night so we will update our numbers once we have an accurate count.

No comments: